Thursday, March 3, 2011

Take Five: Choosing Rest


As a child, I remember worrying about seemingly every.little.thing.

Will it rain today? Did I remember to bring my homework? What was that noise I heard?

As I grew into adulthood, the anxious thoughts lessened, but continued. Worry, worry, worry beset me - the more I tried to shed it, the more I worried about worrying!

Until I truly began to understand God's grace and provision.
Until I truly believed God's unfailing love.


TAKE FIVE
I missed a trolley that would take me to my destination from a parking lot.  I decided to walk instead of waiting for the next trolley.  What a restful choice! I strolled, took pictures, even sat for a few minutes to read. 

Rest for me begins with trusting the Lord. From that place of trust, physical and emotional rest come.
How does that trust look daily?

Psalm 23 guides us into rest.

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want,
Each day, we have the opportunity to believe that all we need will be provided.

He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.
We choose rest by being still on a regular basis. Restoration comes in various ways when we are still: listening to music, reading scriptures, writing what I hear, conversing with friends, walking in a park, and more...

He guides me in the path of righteousness for his name's sake.
As we trust in the Lord with our whole hearts, lean not on our understanding and acknowledge him, he guides us and teaches us the way to go.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Even in the most difficult situations, the Presence of the Living God brings life and light.


You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
When we trust the Lord, his strength sustains us.

Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
We cannot outrun, outlive, outlast God's faithful and powerful presence. Now that is rest!

Pull up a chair - pour a cup of your favorite faith brew and share about rest over at the Faith Barista Jam

Restfully yours,


Donna


FaithBarista_Rest2JamBadge

No comments:

Post a Comment