Friday, April 8, 2011

When Pigs Fly?!!

Noel Perrin's essay, The Daring Young Pig, gave me new perspective on choosing joy.  Perrin writes about a young pig that would somehow get out of the portable pigpen designed to keep it and another piglet enclosed.

Perrin raised the sides of the  pen, but again the young pig managed to escape without digging.  She could be found in the flower beds each time she escaped.

The little sow was persistent in escaping and Perrin wanted to find out how she accomplished that task since pigs don't fly, and in fact, seem afraid of heights.

While hiding behind a tree, Perrin witnessed the pig's way of escape - she jumped three times her height to land on the other side of the pigpen! 

Sometimes, situations appear to hem me in with no visible means of escape.  In recent times, I am encouraged to turn my attention to the Lord to ask for grace to live above circumstances.  The fact that the little pig did "fly" makes me smile.
For by you I can run against a troop, and by my God I can leap over a wall.  Psalm 18:29
What does a jumping pig have to do with joy?  I am reminded that choosing joy is a choice I can make in whatever situation or circumstance I am in - when I am in the presence of the Lord, my perspective changes.  So, whether overwhelmed with work or feeling lonely, I choose joy.  I must remind myself that I have a choice.  Joy resides in God's presence.  That is where I want to be! 

Donna
You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Psalm 16:11
The Faith Barista's Jam is open...

FaithBarista_FreshJamBadgeG

No comments:

Post a Comment