Monday, October 11, 2010

A Place Called Joy


My friend and I walked for more than 90 minutes around winding paths and through tranquil neighborhoods.  We enjoyed sharing the ways in which the Lord helps us in our work, in our families, and in other aspects of our lives.

As we prepared to get in our cars, the conversation turned to the subject of joy.  Sharon recently reread "The Pursuit of Holiness" and "The Practice of Godliness by Jerry BridgesShe shared how her understanding of joy expanded as she was reminded that joy is what we experience when we are in the presence of the Lord.
"True joy comes only from God and He shares this joy with those who walk in fellowship with Him."  Jerry Bridges in The Pursuit of Holiness, p. 154. 
I recalled times when I fretted over difficult circumstances.  I tried to find joy by finding happiness. 
You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. Psalm 16:11
What I now understand is the place called joy is in the presence of God.  So my question is: how do I get into God's presence?  Speaking gratitude is one way that I commune with God.  Today, I join Ann's Gratitude Community and continue counting grace gifts.

#462 - 471

enjoying beautiful weekend weather

viewing tree leaves with multiple hues

extending grace

receiving grace

sharing time together alone in the garden (He walks with me and talks with me)

trusting the Lord with all my heart

thanking Him daily, moment by moment

acknowledging Him in my world

listening to Joy

allowing Joy to strengthen me

With a thankful heart,






holy experience

No comments:

Post a Comment