Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Are Your Ears Awake? HUA!

Listen - an action word, a verb...

As I reframe aspects of my life this summer, a focus on listening and hearing God emerged. 

I sometimes lament, "Lord, speak to my heart!"



When I am "still and know that He is God", my awareness of the Lord's speaking increases. 
Reframe:  Being still is an issue of both quieting my soul and stilling my body.

Reframe: Three parts comprise listening and hearing God.  I pondered the three aspects of listening while sitting in a presentation by US military officers. 

After hearing that one translation of the term HUA is 'heard, understood, and acknowledged,' my ears perked up...I will listen to the Lord and demonstrate HUA!

Heard: Lord, I awaken my ears to hear You - in the laughter of children; in the tears of one in distress; in the dew-heavy grass as I walk in the morning; in the clasp of thankful hands before our meal...

Understood: "If my people would but listen to me...follow my ways" (Psalm 81:13); "all who follow His precepts have good understanding..." (Psalm 111:10).  I demonstrate my understanding of what I heard from the Lord by obeying that word.

Acknowledged: "Lord,  I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, O Lord.  renew them in our day, in our time make them known..." Habakkuk 3:2

How do you experience listening and hearing God? 


holy experience

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderfully thought provoking and heart tuning post this is, Donna. Listening is so important in relationships. Reading your post causes me to ponder ...do I always find myself asking of Him rather than listening? Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete