Thursday, December 16, 2010

Tidings of Comfort and Joy

This Advent season arrived in the midst of grieving the losses of friends and loved ones in my church family. 

I find myself thinking about my father who died 17 years ago this month.  I still miss him. 

I think of my nephew and my sister.  I still miss them.

I think of my friend who died last month; I think of his wife and what she feels this season.

As the songs of Christmas waft through shopping malls and ear buds, in cars and homes, the message of comfort and joy resounds.

In the midst of grief and loss, "How can this be?"

How do comfort and joy come when hearts hurt?

Christmas is a reminder that God cares for us.  Knowing what Jesus, His One and Only Son, would suffer, God sent Him so that we could live.
Since the children are made of flesh and blood, it's logical that the Savior took on flesh and blood in order to rescue them by his death. By embracing death, taking it into himself, he destroyed the Devil's hold on death and freed all who cower through life, scared to death of death.  Hebrews 2:14-15 The Message
We feel what we feel - being real in our emotions. 

Jesus knows what we feel and comforts us as we go through grief and loss.  And He sends those who know His joy and comfort to be present with those who need comfort.  

Send me, Lord; I'll go. 

I will bear witness to the feelings of grief and loss.  I will bear witness to the Love that bore our infirmities and carried our sorrows on the cross.  I received comfort from special friends along the way.  I am grateful.

How are you unwrapping the gift of Jesus this season?

Come, join me as I visit the Faith Barista and loads of others journeying this way.





You may consider reading and sharing the book (and song) When I Get Where I'm Going.  The book is filled with tidings of comfort and yes, even joy.


FaithBarista_Christmas_JamBadge

4 comments:

  1. I love this verse. Life seems so fragile these days in my life. Just yesterday my 58 year old brother had to go in for emergency heart surgery. I was at peace, no worries no matter the outcome. Only Jesus can do that. In the seemingly insurmountable stress in my life, He permeates it all, making order out of chaos. I'm glad he understands my flesh, he wore it, and knows how fragile I am. His strength becomes mine when I leave all these things to him. Jesus incarnate, THE gift of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Stephani. Amen...Praying for complete recovery for your brother. Thank you for your words of life. Praying for continued grace and comfort for you, for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a theme of loss in the jam this time around. I'm so blessed by all sharing. For some reason, I'm missing my Grandfather all of a sudden. But, I also remember our times together. It's become a time of joy in remembering him. Thank You for sharing your heart here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeri, may memories of times with your Grandfather bring comfort. Thanks for visiting.

    Christmas blessings!

    ReplyDelete