Friday, August 19, 2011

Walking by Faith? Begin with Small Steps


Recently, I received a new shoe - just one.  The nurse who applied it to my right foot after surgery advised me that I had to wear it all the time - yes 24/7. 

Hospital discharge instructions permitted me to walk on the heel of my new shoe.

One stark problem emerged: the sharp pain from placing weight even just on the heel sent me reeling backwards onto my bed!

Well, I find it amusing that an Aha! occurred in my inert position on the bed:
We learn to walk by taking small steps


I progressed from one stage of recovery to another by taking baby steps - literally!  Strengthening my physical walk parallels strengthening my spiritual walk.

We often refer to the Christian life as walking by faith.

Small steps to walking by faith include:
  • celebrating incremental progress, e.g., finding a grace gift in the middle of a messy moment or tough days
  • practicing faithfulness in disciplines of worship, prayer, Scripture reading, service, and simplicity
  • growing in love - the vehicle through which faith works: receiving the love of God enables us to love

    For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love. Galatians 5:6 ESV
Small steps pave the way for growth in this walk of faith...I share these words today from a heart that knows the value of taking small steps in this faith walk.

Please pray with me to remember this truth as I hesitantly take small steps in my physical recovery...

Hoping fully,




Take a moment to join the Faith Barista Jam and serve your cup of small acts of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment